Dead rattlesnake bites man after he chops off its head

Dead rattlesnake bites man after he chops off its head

A Texas man is recovering after he claims the head of a rattlesnake bit him - moments after he had just cut it off.

Jennifer Sutcliffe, from Corpus Christi, told KIII TV that her husband had been clearing the yard on Memorial Day weekend when he saw and decapitated a rattlesnake. When he went to pick up the head to dispose of it, he was bitten. An air ambulance was requisitioned and the man was airlifted to the hospital.

She said the first 24 hours were the worst.

At the hospital, Jennifer was told her husband was going into septic shock, had internal bleeding and that his blood pressure was consistently "bottoming out".

Jeremy Sutcliffe, 40, had to be administered with 26 doses of antivenom to try and keep him alive, having slipped into a coma when the severed head bit him.

However, he is still experiencing weak kidney function more than a week after the incident. Trauma surgeon Michael Halpert said although dying from a snake bite is rare, it happens.

G7 attacks Trump plan for tariffs that 'put USA economy in jeopardy'
Trump was foreshadowing a glowing unemployment report that showed the jobless rate dipped to an 18-year low of 3.8 percent. President Trump tweeted , "Looking forward to seeing the employment numbers at 8:30 this morning", at 7:21 am EST.

The 28-year-old man, from Anderson, was kayaking along the Edisto River when the snake struck, biting him a number of times and leaving him in need of urgent medical treatment, ABC News 4 reported.

If you're bitten by a rattlesnake, don't attempt to suck out the venom.

If you thought cutting the head off a venomous snake made them safe to handle, think again.

Doctors initially thought the attack might be fatal but he is now in a stable condition after being given 26 doses of an expensive anti-venom.

"No, you don't want to do any of that", Halpert said. Perhaps the safest way to kill a snake is to sever the head-with an axe, a shovel, a garden hoe, or whatever else is sharp, long, and convenient. Experts advise that it's far better to retreat indoors and call more experienced handlers from animal-control, the local police or the fire department to safely remove the snake.

Related Articles