I’m sure you’ve heard someone in your life say “know where you came from..” whether it be in a movie, to your face, or wherever. Personally I love where I come from. I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t. I want to take this post to share with you guys some perks of living in a small town. Also some perks of living in Bristol VA, or the twin cities. Yes we have Bristol Motor Speedway, but this post isn’t going to be about NASCAR. I want to talk about other things people should enjoy about small town living.
- It’s pretty hard to get lost around here. If your from here you know the place like the back of your hand. If not, all you have to do is ask someone. They will show you the way.
- When your town has an actual Main Street. In Bristols case, since we have a sister city, we have State Street. It’s where Tennessee and Virginia meet. All along the street there are small shops owned by local people. For example, my favorite place is The Southern Churn. It’s owned by two local ladies who are the sweetest you could imagine. Plus you can’t beat a fudgery/ice cream shop!
- I don’t know about your town, but I’ve heard from numerous people that if you stray outside of Bristol even by a couple miles, the cost of living is higher.
- Living in a small town you also learn the values of farming and gardening. This part isn’t something I can’t really explain. The best I can say is, help grow a vegetable of some sort. Once it flourishes fruit you’ll feel a sense of accomplishment. Plus you’ll have a prize to show off what was accomplished.
- I can’t go this whole post without talking about a little back road driving. There’s something about driving down a road with just enough houses you can count on one hand. Rolling your windows down, feeling the summer air. (Definitely don’t give this a shot in the winter. Haha.) It gives me a clear head to think.
- If you take the time to go back road driving like I just mentioned, find an empty field off the side of the road. Pull over, step out of your vehicle, and just gaze up at the sky. I guarantee that if its a clear sky you’ll be impressed. Star gazing is something I love. Also a little tip to the guys, take your girl out at night star gazing. I will bet money she will find it romantic!
- A perk about my area of the country. Pals! If you’ve been around Virginia/Tennessee area you will know of this little joint. It’s a drive through only fast food place. Where I work the other employees take nightly tea runs to Pals. Yes they are that good. Everyone I’ve known that’s moved to another state has came back and told me the first thing they do is run by Pals for a tea or burger.
- Bristol. It’s the Birthplace of Country music. I’m not kidding, google it if you don’t believe me. We are just a few miles from Hiltons,VA and for those that don’t know that’s where Mrs June Carter Cash was born and raised. It’s now know as Carterfold. How neat is that. Not familiar with June Carter? Go watch the movie Walk The Line, she is Johnny Cash’s wife.
These are just a few things you can enjoy in a small town. I wouldn’t want to be from anywhere else. Except maybe not with a racetrack. Considering that’s the only way people identify where I live. I guess I love the little things in life. Hopefully you do to and will be able to possible relate or like my points in this post.
Have a good rest of your night/morning!